Pop Up CBT Training Now Available in USA & Canada
What is Pop Up CBT?
Welcome to Pop Up CBT – our On-The-Road training model. Padesky and Mooney are driving across the USA and Canda in July and early August 2019. Whenever our schedule and location permit, we are happy to provide Pop Up CBT training.
Pop Up CBT offerings are available to all mental health professionals and graduate students in locations within reasonable driving distances of our route through the USA and Canada. They are scheduled very last minute and can be any one or more of the following: 1-2 hour workshops and presentations, brief question and answer sessions, quick consults, meet and greets.
Expand the map below to see our expected route. We leave Sandwich, Massachusetts July 29, 2019 and go West via the USA and parts of Canada on our return to California. Our transport is a 2018 Tesla Model X 100D , an all electric SUV. Our route is partially determined by access to Tesla Superchargers. We believe we can provide low cost CBT mini training events while maintaining a low carbon foot print. Should be a blast!
To Find Out Where We Are and What We are Doing
WE NEED YOUR HELP. Please subscribe to our YouTube channel. Watch our intro video. As soon as we receive 100 subscribers, we can get a custom YouTube web address that uses our name. That makes us a lot easier to find in the future. For now, use this link to watch our intro and subscribe to us on YouTube
How can I get a Pop Up CBT program at my location?
First check our route map below.
- You need to be a mental health professional or graduate student in a mental health field
- Check our route map to see if you are within reasonable driving distance (approx. 50 miles)
- Select from our topics and formats (see topics and format list below)
- Make sure you can provide a suitable site (see suitable site section)
- Ensure attendees are mental health professionals or graduate students in a mental health field
- Use the contact form at the bottom of this page. Make sure your request includes all the required specific information so we can send you the estimated fees.
- Fee Range: from $400 – $1000 USD plus (e.g. provide or contribute toward lodging)
- A bonus for us is if there is electric vehicle charging in your area. We use Tesla Superchargers and Charge Point locations. To see locations near you, visit the chargepoint location finder. (see How to Locate Electric Vehicle Charging Stations section)
Can I Charge People to Attend a Pop Up CBT Event?
Absolutely. You are the organizer/sponsor of the popupcbt event. We recommend you set fees that make your popupcbt event readily affordable to your audience. You can also make attendance free. In all cases, it is important that you have your attendees RSVP so you can control space and seating requirements.
AVAILABLE DATES for Pop Up CBT
Dates determined by the number and length of stops.
We begin July 29, 2019 in Sandwich, Massachusetts and expect to be in the following areas: Vermont (Dorset area), Montreal, Ottawa and Sault St Marie (Canada), Traverse City (Michigan), Chicago area (Illinois), Iowa City and Des Moines (Iowa), Omaha and Lincoln (Nebraska), Denver and Grand Junction (Colorado), St. George (Utah), Las Vegas (Nevada). These areas are tentative and updates will be posted here when available.
Pop Up CBT Topics Available
- Using Mind Over Mood 2nd Edition in therapy (in general, or one of the following mood focuses: depression, anxiety, anger, guilt, shame)
- Building Resilience with Strengths-Based CBT
- Case Consultation (uses our Case Consult Form available from https://www.padesky.com/clinical-corner/clinical-tools/)
- Questions and answers about CBT protocols, processes, road blocks
- Socratic Dialogue and Guided Discovery
- Easy Set-ups for Behavioral Experiments
- Mistakes to Avoid when Assigning Homework
- Assertive Defense of the Self protocol for social anxiety
Pop Up CBT Suggested Formats
- Brief interactive seminar (small group with focus on a specific subject and active participation)
- 2-hour workshop (includes clinical exercises and demonstrations, action-oriented with goal to build skills to address current problems). As an example, read about our first popupcbt event here.
- Question and Answer session with graduate students / therapists (can be theme oriented if desired)
- Group case consultation
- Individual consultation
- Meet and greet (e.g. wine & cheese tasting with Drs Padesky & Mooney; the possibilities are endless)
What is a Suitable Site?
A suitable site would be an ADA accessible building (or home) in a location easily accessible by your intended audience. The room should comfortably seat everyone and have good acoustics, airflow and lighting with access to rest rooms and water.
Can be a business office, classroom, university site, community clinic, private home (only if it’s mid-century modern – just kidding).
Who Teaches Pop Up CBT?
Why Are We Doing This?
After several decades of large group workshops, Padesky and Mooney relish the the opportunity to meet with small groups of therapists.
Padesky: I have an affinity for therapists who work outside major urban areas and who do not often have access to training. I look forward to offering more affordable training to therapists and graduate students who cannot travel to attend the large workshops.
Mooney: We have gone full in electric, with solar panels, a power wall and a Tesla Model X. We are both excited about the possibility of affecting climate change and perhaps encouraging others to lower their carbon foot print.
We love working together, meeting bright, interesting, dedicated therapists. We both had tired of all the months of advance planning and scheduling our large scale workshops required. We believe we can identify everyday issues, barriers, and challenges that therapists face when providing sophisticated, empirically supported CBT. We want to target those issues in brief, succinct, ready to use formats through our Pop Up CBT offerings.
How To Locate Electric Vehicle Charging Stations (not required)
A bonus for us is if there is electric vehicle charging in your area. We use Tesla Superchargers and Charge Point locations. To see locations near you, visit the chargepoint location finder from your desktop computer.
Before starting your search:
- first enter the location under “I want to charge near…”
Then check the following
- under STATUS – select “Available”
- under CONNECTOR TYPE – select “Level 2-J1772” and “Supercharger – Tesla”
- under NETWORK – select ChargePoint
Possible locations will be listed on the right side of the page.
What does that license plate mean?
We are driving in a Tesla Model X, an all electric SUV. In addition to teaching CBT, we are hoping to demonstrate that it is totally possible to travel everywhere in an electric vehicle. This is a behavioral experiment on our part but it has full empirical support (i.e. evidence based)! So in our Model X we are amped up about the possibilities.