Kathleen A. Mooney, PhD
- Co-Founder, Center for Cognitive Therapy in 1983
- Licensed psychologist in California since 1990 (CA license PSY11811)
- Over 25 years of clinical experience and highly specialized training in cognitive therapy
- Founding Fellow of the Academy of Cognitive Therapy (ACT)
- Certified cognitive therapist through the Academy of Cognitive Therapy (ACT)
- Fellow, Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT)
- Clinical specialties include anxiety, health worries, work pressures, relationship issues, stress, lesbian & gay issues, panic attacks, and problem-solving
- Worked in an emergency inpatient psychiatric ward, outpatient community clinic, physical medicine & rehabilitation ward, a family medicine setting, and at the Center for Cognitive Therapy
- Conducts cognitive therapy workshops for mental health professionals in Canada, England, Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, Scotland, Sweden, The Netherlands and the United States on anxiety, personality disorders, complex issues, relationship issues, therapist beliefs, creativity and resilience
- Co-produces cognitive therapy audio and video training materials for mental health professionals
- Designs and manages two web sites, one exclusively for mental health professionals (www.Padesky.com) and one for the general public (www.MindOverMood.com)
- B.A. Case Western Reserve University, Flora Stone Mather College, 1968; M.A. California School of Professional Psychology, 1984; Ph.D. California School of Professional Psychology, 1988.
Google Scholar Profile
Dr Mooney’s Google Scholar Profile provides a comprehensive listing of her publications and citations along with brief descriptions.
- Padesky, C. A. & Mooney, K.A. (2012). Strengths-based Cognitive- Behavioural Therapy: A four-step model to build resilience. Clinical Psychology & Psychotherapy, 19 (4), 283-90.
- Mooney, K.A. (2005). [Review of the book Cognitive-behavioral therapies with lesbian, gay and bisexual clients, by C.R. Marell, S.A. Safren, & S.E. Prince]. The Clinical Psychologist, 58(4), 19-20. Available as pdf from https://www.div12.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/2005.58.4.pdf
- Mooney, K.A. & Padesky, C.A. (2004). Construindo Possibilidades e Tolerando a Dúvida e a Ambiguidade. In: Knapp, Paulo (Ed). Terapia cognitivo-comportamental na pratica, pp 496-507. Porto Alegre: Artmed [Translation of 2000 article].
- Mooney, K.A. & Padesky, C.A. (2000). Applying client creativity to recurrent problems: Constructing possibilities and tolerating doubt. Journal of Cognitive Psychotherapy: An International Quarterly, 14 (2), 149-161.
- Persons, J. B., Mooney, K. A., & Padesky, C. A. (1995). Interrater reliability of cognitive-behavioral case formulations. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 19 (1) 21-34.
- Padesky, C.A., & Mooney, K.A. (1991). Clinical tip: Presenting the cognitive model to clients. International Cognitive Therapy Newsletter, 6, 13-14.
- Mooney, K.A. (1989). Optimistic bias and single women’s comparative assessments for risk of AIDS and other health problems (Doctoral dissertation, California School of Professional Psychology, Los Angeles, 1988). Dissertation Abstracts International, 5005, 2160B
Web, PowerPoint, YouTube, Visual & Audio Media
- 2020-current: Design, develop, maintain Digital Padesky store. A web store exclusively for Mental Health Professionals.
- 2019-current: Design & develop Instagram account for Popup CBT
- 2010-current: Design & develop YouTube videos featuring CBT.
- 2010-current: Design Twitter account for padesky.com
- 2007-current: Redesign & maintenance of www.LawrenceCHS.com. A nonprofit 501(c)(3) historical society in Western Pennsylvania.
- 2007-2019: Designer & developer of www.Store.Padesky.com. A web store exclusively for Mental Health Professionals.
- 1999-current: Designer & developer of www.MindOverMood.com. A website for the Public.
- 1998-current: Designer & developer of www.padesky.com. A website exclusively for Mental Health Professionals.
- 1989-current: Designer & developer of PowerPoint CBT presentations (originally developed in Microsoft Publisher).
- 1989-current: Designer & developer of Cognitive Therapy Training on Disc™. Audio and Video CBT training exclusively for mental health professionals.