Christine A. Padesky, PhD
Christine A. Padesky, Ph.D. is a leading cognitive therapy innovator, provides consultation and workshops to therapists worldwide (www.padesky.com) and develops video & audio therapist training materials (described at www.store.padesky.com) as well as free Clinical Tips for Clinicians (YouTube.com/ChristinePadesky). Along with Kathleen Mooney, PhD, Dr. Padesky is co-founder of the Center for Cognitive Therapy in Huntington Beach, California and co-creator of Strengths-Based CBT.
Dr. Padesky is considered one of the leading CBT presenters in the world, appreciated for her depth of knowledge, compassion, and good-humored warmth. She has presented over 500 workshops to more than 50,000 professionals throughout North and South America, Europe, and Asia as well as 25 workshops with cognitive therapy’s founder, Aaron T. Beck, M.D. Her clear, organized and compelling presentations integrate theory, empiricism, creativity, practical skills, and audience interaction.
- Co-Founder, Center for Cognitive Therapy in 1983 (Newport Beach 1983-2000, Huntington Beach 2000-present)
- Licensed psychologist in California since 1982 (CA license PSY7635)
- Distinguished Founding Fellow of the Academy of Cognitive Therapy (ACT) now known as the Academy of Cognitive & Behavioral Therapies
- Certified cognitive therapist through the Academy of Cognitive & Behavioral Therapies (ACBT)
- Fellow, Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT)
- Co-author of the best-selling self-help book, Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think which has over 1,200,000 copies sold in 23 languages.
- Author of seven professional books and dozens of professional articles and book chapters
- Consultant to mental health clinics, hospital programs, and educational video projects
- Consultant to the Cognitive Therapy Unit at Mesa Vista Hospital in San Diego which was the first inpatient cognitive therapy unit west of the Mississippi River
- One of the most prominent instructors of cognitive therapy worldwide.
- Internationally recognized among mental health professionals as a creative innovator and leader in cognitive therapy practice and teaching
- Founding Member of the World Aging and Brain Health Institute (WABHI). The Institute consists of prominent international leaders and researchers, whose research contributions provided the inspiration and academic substance behind the Fountain of Health Initiative for Optimal Aging.
- Appearances or primary roles in more than a dozen film, video and television projects including PBS psychology telecourses; educational films for both public and professional audiences
- Frequent interviews in the print media: women’s magazines, teen magazines, health magazines, and major newspapers
- Cognitive therapist since 1978
- President, International Association for Cognitive Psychotherapy (IACP), 1995-1998
- Assistant Clinical Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior at the University of California, Irvine (1998-2003)
- B.A. Yale University 1974; M.A. University of California, Los Angeles 1975; Ph.D. University of California, Los Angeles 1981
Google Scholar Profile
Dr Padesky’s Google Scholar Profile provides a comprehensive listing of her publications and citations along with brief descriptions.
- The Clinician’s Guide to CBT Using Mind Over Mood (2nd Edition) by Christine A. Padesky with Dennis Greenberger (Guilford Press, 2020). AVAILABLE from Guilford Press at discount.
- Mind Over Mood: Change How Your Feel By Changing the Way You Think (2nd Edition) by Dennis Greenberger and Christine A. Padesky (Guilford Press, 2016). AVAILABLE from Guilford Press at discount.
- Collaborative Case Conceptualization: Working Effectively with Clients in CBT by Willem Kuyken, Christine A. Padesky, and Robert Dudley (Guilford Press, 2009). AVAILABLE from Guilford Press at discount.
- Cognitive Therapy of Personality Disorders (2nd edition) by Beck, Freeman, Davis, and Associates (Guilford Press, 2003)
- Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel By Changing the Way You Think (First Edition) by Dennis Greenberger and Christine A. Padesky (Guilford Press, 1995)
- Clinician’s Guide to Mind Over Mood by Christine A. Padesky with Dennis Greenberger Guilford Press, 1995)
- Cognitive Therapy with Couples by Frank Datillio and Christine A. Padesky (Professional Resource Exchange, 1990)
- 2017: Elected Honorary Fellow of the British Association of Behavioural & Cognitive Psychotherapies.
- 2016: The second edition of Mind Over Mood received second place in the 2016 American Journal of Nursing Book of the Year Awards in the Consumer Health category.
- 2007: Recipient Aaron T. Beck Award from the Academy of Cognitive Therapy. The Aaron T. Beck Award was presented each year, from 2001-2019, to an individual who had made significant and enduring contributions to the field of cognitive therapy.
- 2007: Recipient Aaron T. Beck Award from the Aaron T. Beck Institute for Cognitive Studies at Assumption College (www.assumption.edu)
- 2007: Recipient 24th Annual Feldman Lecture, Grey Nuns Community Hospital, Edmonton, Canada (www.feldmanlecture.ca): “A New Paradigm for Cognitive Therapy of Personality Disorders.” The Feldman Lecture Series was created in 1983 and has been offered for over 30 years. It was made possible as a result of a generous donation from Zane Feldman, former President of the Edmonton Oil Kings and recipient of the Order of Canada Medal in 1992.
- 2003: Recipient of the “Distinguished Contribution to Psychology” award from the California Psychological Association. The Distinguished Contribution to Psychology award honors a psychologist or non-psychologist who has improved the image of psychology by increasing the public’s understanding of the discipline and/or the profession of psychology. This award is open to all Californians and is intended to promote good will and broader understanding of the field. The person nominated might be a writer (both print and electronic), teacher, manager/administrator, health professional, mental health advocate or the like. The important factor is that the public’s understanding and awareness of psychology is increased in some significant way by the nominee’s contribution.
- 2002: Named the “Most Influential International Cognitive Behavioural Therapist” by the British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies
- 2002: the British Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Psychotherapies named Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think the most influential cognitive therapy book of all time
photo copyright Christine A. Padesky, PhD